Travel Foods That Will Make It Through Security
Listen, we know traveling is a mixed bag. On the one hand, it’s exciting when you are on your way to discover somewhere new, or anticipating the return home to your own bed and the comfort of the familiar. On the other, there’s the reality of the journey - cramped seats, dry air, and whatever the person coughing in row 12 is contributing to the environment... you get the picture.
Regardless of whether you are going to or from, it’s likely that your menu options are limited, and not all that healthy. If you have food allergies, diet specifications, or just high standards for how you prefer to nourish yourself, travel days can become even more challenging.
So we sat down with Chef Contos to figure out what kinds of foods you can make or pick up along the way that will be able to stick by your side through security, and still taste delicious!
Under any circumstances, eating well requires planning, and travel days are no exception. Chef Contos is big in prepping these healthy snacks in the same way you approach packing or printing your boarding pass; just another necessary task on your to-do list (otherwise they might be scrapped if things come down to the wire, and you might end up hangry at your first connection).
Chef Contos' preference is an anti-inflammatory paleo approach. Here are some of her favorites:
- Seaweed snacks
- Rx bars
- An avocado - pack it in a baggie, and either eat straight or spread over cassava bread
- Grain-Free Granola
- Plantain or Yuca chips (fried in coconut oil or olive oil)
- Freeze dried fruit - our favorite are blueberries
- Obviously raw nuts
- Sometimes a mini Casamigos tequila!
Looking for gluten-free (celiac-safe) choices? You can consider anything on the above list as well as these:
- Pack some of your favorite granola (ours is Udi’s vanilla almond), and add it to a cup of yogurt. Keep a tight grip on it and be careful not to get distracted as you race to your gate...experience is such a good reminder!
- If you connect through JFK, LGA, EWR, MSP, PHL, IAH, YYZ, DCA, ORD, or MCO, look for CIBO Express. They stock many of the suggestions on our list as well as a variety of other great choices…like Larabars.
- GF Instant oatmeal – find hot water at most cafes in the terminal or you can ask the flight attendant for a splash once you have boarded.
- Capello’s Cookie Dough - it takes some pre-planning to order it online, but it’s wonderful and gluten free/vegan.
Speaking of Vegan…
- We’re going to state the obvious: hummus.
- California rolls minus the crab. Haven’t you noticed, sushi is everywhere!
- Pack a lunchbox with rice crackers, vegan cheese, grapes, and your favorite protein bar.
- Vegan caesar salad! If you have your life together, use a weck jar and those travel utensils you purchased for just such occasions. If it’s a Plan B day, throw it in a ziplock (you’ll figure it out later).
- Coconut yogurt and granola!
- Capello’s Cookie Dough – it’s so good, we needed to mention it twice!